<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />FWD from Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research:
The results of yesterday’s election bode well for the future of stem cell research in our nation.
 At the national level, CAMR will move forward with our plan to work with President-elect Obama and his administration to quickly remove President Bush’s limitations on embryonic stem cell research.  As we spelled out in our testimony to the Democratic Platform Committee, we believe that President Obama should issue an immediate Executive Order that would result in a reversal of the current policy.  We are reaching out to President-elect Obama’s transition team now and will keep you informed of our progress.

While the national election has the attention of entire world, two important state ballots were determined yesterday that also have an extraordinary impact on the future of stem cell research.
 The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Michigan ballot, “Proposition 2,” was successfully passed by a defendable margin in the state.   As you know, CAMR strongly supported this ballot question that will lift Michigan’s strict restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.
 The ballot initiative we strongly opposed in Colorado, “Proposition 48,” was soundly defeated.  This proposed amendment to the Colorado constitution would have redefined a person as a fertilized egg and would have profoundly limited research.  Over 70% of Colorado’s citizens voted against the measure.

We have been in this long fight together, and we are now closer than ever to our goal of moving embryonic stem cell research forward in our nation.  We have remained strong because we share the belief that we can end the suffering of over 100 million patients suffering from diseases and conditions that can benefit from embryonic stem cell research.
 There are two things you can do today to help:
 Send a Letter to the Editor
You can customize the letter below and send it to your hometown newspaper.  Please try to personalize it as best you can -- perhaps adding a reference to something you or a family member may be living with or struggling with.
 To find out where to send it, please refer to your hometown newspaper's web site (the Contact Us section or Opinion page usually lists an email address to send LTEs), and include your full name, city and state, email address, and a phone number where you can be reached for verification.  Remember not to go over 150 words.  Most newspapers won't accept or even review letters that are longer that that.  Please let us know if your letter runs in your newspaper -- we'd love to see it!

LETTER TO THE EDITOR TEXT:

Dear Editor:

A new President brings hope on many fronts.  For me, I am most hopeful about positive, forward-thinking change in our nation's stem cell research policy.  As someone who,  [PERSONALIZATION MENTION HERE], I  call on President-elect Obama to take his support for embryonic stem  cell research from the Senate to the White House and enact ethical and responsible federal policy around embryonic stem cell research so our nation's scientists can do their best work.  Embryonic stem cell research has shown great hope these past ten years.  It deserves the chance to show its real power in finding better treatments and cures.

Sincerely,
NAME
CITY, STATE
PHONE
EMAIL

Sign the International Society for Stem Cell Research Letter

The International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR), a CAMR member, has drafted an open letter to reiterate the urgent need for support for all types of stem cell research.  CAMR will be signing on, and we are encouraging CAMR member organizations,  scientists, practitioners, medical professionals and others in related fields to add their signatures as well.  If you would like to do so, please click here:

http://www.isscr.org/ScienceStatementEndorsement.cfm

We invite you to join us in spreading the word about this important open letter.  For more information, please click here:

http://www.isscr.org/ScienceStatementEndorsers.cfm

Thank you for everything you do.  Be sure to visit our website at www.camradvocacy.org for more information and breaking news.

Sincerely,

Amy Comstock Rick