Yes, support groups are only as good as those who lead the group.  It takes
a lot of energy to be a support group leader.  And when you add being
chronically ill, which most SG leaders are, it makes the job that much harder.

The key characteristic of a good leader is openness...open to suggestions,
open to constructive criticism.  No member of a support group should be
fearful of saying something to a leader who needs help.  Of course, we all
know that a good support group is are sharing as well as learning.  If
neither of these is present then the group will fail.

Sadly many leaders have very good intentions, but need help and don't ask
for it or don't see that they need help.  I am fortunate to have the support
of two of our regional hospital affiliated speech therapists who volunteered
to help me before I even started the group here.  And they are both LSVT
certified too, so I have double the joy of their help.

If you are in a group that is foundering, I would suggest that you volunteer
to help with meeting agenda; e.g. obtaining speakers.  Support is an
important part of illness...support through education, support from family
and friends, etc.

Carolyn