Like every year, we have our Canadian Caucus at 4Cs. In the last year's caucus, we decided that the theme for this year's caucus would be professional development opportunities in Canada for writing scholars (see the abstract below).

Please let me know if you have something that will interest other Canadian attendees. If you have a presentation that doesn't quite fit the theme but is, nonetheless, interesting for us, you are welcome to present it at the caucus.

_________________

Canadian Caucus

Session: TSIG.14 on Mar 12, 2009 from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM

The institutional climate in Canada is somewhat similar to that of the U.S. in that we, Canadian writing scholars, find it worthwhile to attend CCCC. However, important differences between the two countries exist to warrant a space for Canadian writing scholars. In particular scarcity of advanced degree programs (especially Ph.D.) in writing studies (relative to the United States) makes it difficult for Canadian writing programs to find and train new and existing instructors.

Therefore, the proposed SIG meeting this year discusses professional development opportunities in Canada, and participants will share the training and professional development programs in their institutions and across the nation to compare issues and solutions that are raised by American colleagues at CCCC. In particular, we will discuss the relevant cultural context for interpreting and modifying American programs in Canada and explore ways to grow our own advanced writing programs.

Because of the cross-membership with WAC/WID SIG, we request that the Canadian Caucus SIG not be held during the WAC/WID SIG.

The Canadian Caucus SIG dates back to the 1980s. It has performed an important social function in addition to the intellectual exchange referred to above. The SIG gives Canadian CCCCs participants a place to meet and to process the CCCC sessions they have attended by discussing their implications in the Canadian context. We estimate that 20-25 people will attend the Canadian Caucus SIG session in San Francisco.

Apology for cross-posting.

Tosh Tachino, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Rhetoric, Writing, and Communication