From: CASLL/Inkshed [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graham Smart
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 11:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dissertation Woes

Stephanie and all,

Teresa's post gave me an idea. One interesting project might be to look at a

couple of disciplines in both their academic and professional dimensions.
So, for example, one could look at citation practices in engineering
university courses and in an engineering firm; in university accounting
courses and an accounting firm; or in university biology classes and in a
government natural resources unit.  In a way, I guess, this idea follows on
Dias, Freedman, Medway, and Paré's _Worlds Apart_.   Another variation on
this theme might be to look at disciplinary citation practices for students
(in coursework) and faculty (in academic publications) in a couple of
different disciplines.

Graham