Hello all and happy Friday,

I'm a PhD student in composition theory & pedagogy working under the
supervision of Dr. Catherine Schryer at the University of Waterloo. I've
recently completed my field exams and have moved on to transforming my pile
of previous grant proposals into a viable (and, ideally, useful)
dissertation project on some aspect of citation practices and/or academic
misconduct. Thus far, I haven't been very successful.

Since I'm not getting particularly far with the invention stage of my
dissertation on my own, I've decided to seek input on the gaps in the field
of citation/misconduct that (writing) instructors would be interested in
having filled.

My current interest (and work at WLU's Writing Centre) is in teaching the
complex citation practices involved in an author's critical engagement with
source material as a means of facilitating student access to academic
discursive communities as well as preventing student misconduct.

I am open to *any* project ideas regarding any aspect of citation and/or
misconduct. I've been mulling over possible projects on citation from the
following perspectives:

   - Student enculturation/community membership
   - Assignment design
   - Course design – specifically writing-intensive course design
   - Discipline-specific citation practices (i.e., Hyland, 2000)
   - Policy & institutional frameworks for dealing with plagiarism (i.e.,
   Price; Howard; Park)
   - Current approaches to teaching citation (i.e., content courses,
   bibliography courses, writing-intensive programs, texts like Graff,
   Birkenstein, Durst's They Say, I Say: The Moves that Matter in Academic
   Writing)
   - Theories of idea ownership and language (Foucault; Bloom, 1973;
   Volosinov; Bakhtin)
   - The history of citation practices  (Ong, 1982 (although it's not the
   focus, it does touch upon practices of repetition and formula as mnemonic
   devices in oral cultures); Macfarlane, 2007)

Thanks for your help,

Stephanie

--
Stephanie Bell