I have seen a few concerns regarding he techniques in DBS.

 there can be a significant response to the procedure of inserting the
electrodes. Whilst there is still discussion on this as to method answer is
simple. The operation is long and requires stimulation of the STN to check
that the best area is located. Thus due to the effect of the setup procedure
there is initially a " symptom response " to this procedure. Hence the after
effects associated with improved symptoms.

I believe th e setup is purely neurologist/surgeon team decision and because
the cause of the disease is individual specific , so the response to these
stimulations.

I believe the argument for waiting the 4-5 days is to ensure the minimum
response is being experience to set a baseline for the voltage signal to be
set.

Don't worry I am not "medically biased "

' as my neurologist ( in Australia ) still set the stimulator too low when
the evidence suggest 2.9 to 3.5 volts. I was set at 2.5 volts , and it
wasn't till I came to the States that I was set at the correct levels and
then the results were truly amazing.

Hope his has helped

John thomas