On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:22:40 -0700, Ray asked:

Don't we need to know what causes this(these) disease(s)? My fear is a
"cure" will not fit all.
or is it not necessary to know etiology of disease?
Ray

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF
rbrown@xxxxxxxxx
*    *    *    *
And my answer is YES!  Absolutely we need to know the cause, which is akin
to my #2 below:
TOP 10 LIST FOR THE PARKINSON'S COMMUNITY
From original text:

Quote:
1. FIND OUT HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE PD!
I have volunteered with PAN for 8 years (Parkinson's Action Network), and
each year at their forum we go through 2-3 days of "training" and research
updates, then visit our legislators on Capitol Hill to tell our story.
Every time somebody asks me, "How many people have Parkinson's in
Tennessee?" And every time I have to answer, "er . . . um . . . I don't
know." Enough said!

2. WE NEED A TEST FOR DIAGNOSING PARKINSON'S !
Not only are we confused as to how many have PD, but we aren't really sure
if those diagnosed really have PD! - we're trying to cure a disease
diagnosed purely by symptoms. And on top of that - our clinical trials are
based on "observed symptoms." Who's to say that a number of people out there
taking Sinemet for years were just shaking from anxiety on initial diagnosis
and the rest of their symptoms are as a result of the meds. There's
something wrong with this picture.
:End quote

And I should have made myself more clear - this is not necessarily the order
of priority - I was just brainstorming.  So Ray, let's make #3 Find the
cause of PD - OK?  And Thanks.

I posted this in 3 forums and anyone attending a meeting with an org or a
scientific meeting or whatever can take the "list" to let those working to
find a cure know what we as grassroots community see as top priorities.
Peggy