UNMC Find Could Treat Epilepsy, Dementia
Brain Enzyme Could Lessen Impact Of Neurological Diseases

updated 12:17 p.m. ET Jan. 16, 2009
OMAHA, Neb. - Researchers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center said
they've found what may be a potentially lifesaving tool in the fight against
brain diseases like epilepsy and dementia.
"Whether it's epilepsy, dementia, stroke or Parkinson's, the essential problem
is brain cells in particular regions die off," said neurologist Dr. Sanjay
Singh.
The UNMC researchers said they've discovered a naturally occurring enzyme,
Peroxiredoxin 6, which could potentially reduce or even eliminate the effects
of brain disease by preventing those cells from dying.
Singh said his research partner was actually doing research on cataracts when
he stumbled on the beneficial effects of the PRDX6 enzyme on brain cells.
"We usually count cells to see how many survived and with this, it was
visually apparent they were surviving," he said. "The way it works is that it
decreases oxidative stress. When you have a lot of oxidative stress in the
brain, it kills brain cells."
He said that since PRDX6 occurs naturally in the brain, the next step is
figuring out how to increase its levels.
"There are not very many neuroprotectors you can find that have been
successful, so we'll have to start from scratch to choose our products and
work on them," he said.
He said if there's a way to increase the level of PRDX6, possibly through
medication or diet, the impact could be life-changing.
"Finding something like this is really exciting and gives us a brand new way
of treating such disorders and gives hope to patients," he said.
Doctors will need to test the enzyme in animal models before beginning human
trials. They said right now, there's no known specific food or medication
that will increase the enzyme in your body.