>video:
>
>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/26512703#26512703
>

>Rayilyn Brown
>Director AZNPF
>Arizona Chapter National Parkinson Foundation

Some of you know that I am an avid cyclist. I first heard this story
in a publication of  The Parkinson's Foundation of the Heartland. My
recollection is that it appears that the tandem riders needed to
maintain a cadence of 90 rpm on the pedals. Even when I was healthy
enough  to ride solo for 100 miles a day I couldn't maintain a 90
cadence for more than a minute or so. Over the past 4 - 5 seasons my
typical cadence has declined from 80-84 to 55-65. The conjecture so
far is that the tandem is necessary to get the legs moving that
quickly. I've been riding 40 to 60 minutes (solo) 5 times a week.
(Indoors, it's rather cold in Vermont right now.)  Can't say I've
noticed much benefit in symptoms but it is keeping me more fit. I do
have a friend with a tandem. He will be getting a phone call;-)
http://www.parkinsonheartland.org/
--
Steve in VT