"She told the American Association for the Advancement of Science patients
could be treated sooner as a result."

Treated with what? And to what degree of benefit?

"Early diagnosis is key because we know that by the time a typical
individual
presents with the symptoms of the disease, chemical changes have already
caused significant cell death of vulnerable motor neurons," she added.

And how does early diagnosis help us protect those vulnerable motor neurons?
They never say...

Kathleen