Intense light to detect Parkinson's

Last Modified: 14 Feb 2009
Source: PA News
British scientists have found a way of using intense light to detect the
early stages of Parkinson's Disease in the brains of sufferers, it was
disclosed.
Researchers from Keele University are using the "super-microscope"
capabilities of the synchrotron at Harwell, Oxfordshire, to observe iron
levels in individual brain cells.
Keele's Dr Joanna Collingwood said the technique could, in the long term,
allow early diagnosis of Parkinson's, and improve therapeutic approaches by
allowing medical intervention to take place before the cell death of
significant numbers of motor neurones.
The synchrotron - or Diamond Light Source - is a vast doughnut-shaped
particle accelerator, the size of five football pitches, which fires
particles at almost the speed of light before focusing them into a beam with
a diameter less than that of a single cell to illuminate the site of
experiments.
Speaking at the American Association for the Advancement of Science
conference in Chicago, Dr Collingwood explained that the distribution of
metal ions in the brain tissue of sufferers was altered by the disease
process.
By studying the tissue as a whole, it has been possible to map metal
distribution throughout the brain region containing the vulnerable motor
neurones in Parkinson's Disease in a region where the researchers had
earlier shown that iron levels nearly double in individual cells.
She said: "Our studies at Diamond involve a technique called microfocus
spectroscopy, in which powerful, tightly focused beams of X-rays penetrate
our tissue samples.
"We have been able to investigate human tissue with such precision that
metal ions, particularly iron levels, in and around individual cells can be
mapped. What makes the microfocus synchrotron approach so unique is that we
can also use the focused beam to obtain information about the form in which
the iron is stored."
She added: "The technique is pioneering in that it does not change the
distribution or form of the metals in the tissue being studied. To move this
research on into the clinical arena, we need to determine how much the
contrast change seen by clinicians in the MRI scan results is directly due
to changes in iron distribution and form.
"Improving our understanding of the biochemical aspects of the disease
should in the long term contribute to improved therapeutic approaches and
also provide potential openings for early MRI detection and diagnosis."
These news feeds are provided by an independent third party and Channel 4 is
not responsible or liable to you for the same.

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF