Hi Jim:

I am also looking into glutathione injections. Email me at [log in to unmask]
  and I can send you a pdf of a 2008 review of the glutathione
literature (I don't think I can append it to the list). Here is the
abstract:

Abstract
At least 2 decades have past since the demonstration of a 40e50%
deficit in total glutathione (GSH) levels in the substantia nigra in
patients
with Parkinson’s disease (PD). The similar loss of GSH in the nigra in
Incidental Lewy body disease, thought to be an early form of PD,
indicates
that this is one of the earliest derangements to occur in the pre-
symptomatic stages of PD. Oxidative damage to lipids, protein and DNA
in the
nigra of PD patients is consistent with the loss of the antioxidant
functions contributed by GSH. Past clinical trials that have used an
antioxidant
approach to treatment have used antioxidants that might substitute for
GSH but these have shown modest to little benefit. More recent studies
of
the functions served by GSH in cells include in addition to its well-
known participation in H2O2 and toxin removal, such roles as
modulation of
protein function via thiolation which may control physiological and
pathophysiological pathways to include DNA synthesis and repair, protein
synthesis, amino acid transport, modulation of glutamate receptors and
neurohormonal signaling. These multifunctional aspects to the workings
of GSH in the cell would suggest that its loss perturbs many different
processes and that replenishment and maintenance of GSH per se may be
the best approach for preventing progressive damage from occurring.
Despite this, few studies have been directed at specifically restoring
GSH,
although, as discussed herein, its unsanctioned use in PD is growing
in popularity. This review will focus on glutathione in PD; the various
functions carried out by glutathione and possible consequences of its
depletion, as well as measures to elevate GSH in the CNS and its use
in humans. Consideration of how the CNS generates and handles the
substrates for GSH synthesis is also addressed with the view in mind
that this may provide insights into control and maintenance of
intracellular glutathione.

I leave it to those with more experience than me to correct any errors
in what follows but here is my thinking. As I understand it, a
glutathione deficiency is likely associated with PD but it is unclear
whether the glutathione deficiency causes PD or is one outcome or
symptom. So injections may not do anything to alleviate PD. Besides,
if a lack of glutathione causes cell death in the substantia nigra
(and elsewhere) then correcting glutathione levels may modulate
further degeneration but cannot undo the damage already done. I.e.
injections may slow down progression but may well not turn back the
clock. Finally, I am unsure how long a course of injections will
correct glutathione levels. The effect may be temporary.

WIth all this said, I am unaware of any serious side effects. If cost
and availability are not a big factors, it may not hurt to try. I will
likely try sometime in the next several months. If I do I will post my
experience.

Stay in touch...

John Mitterer