Parkinson's Unity Walk 2009
OrganizationParkinson's Unity Walk

AddressCentral Park, The Bandshell at 72nd Street, Enter from 5th Avenue or
Central Park West, New York, NY 10021
Interest AreaCommunity, Education & Literacy, Health & Medicine
DateSat Apr 25, 2009, 06:30 AM - 04:00 PM

Minimum Age13

Email this to a friend
Invite a group
Description
Volunteer for the 15th Parkinson's Unity Walk in New York City's Central
Park

We are seeking volunteers/groups to help with areas such as:
Set-up Crew, Welcome Crew, Registration, T-Shirts/Lanyards/Bags
Distribution, Booths, Marshals, Make-a-sign Booth, Kids Area, Refreshments
Booth, Water Stations, Clean-up and Dismantling Crew.
About the Parkinson's Unity Walk
The Parkinson's Unity Walk (PUW), a grassroots organization, began in 1994
through the dedicated efforts of patient, families, support groups, and
friends who were affected by Parkinson's disease. Their main goal was to
raise awareness and funds for research to find a cure for Parkinson's.

Over the last thirteen years, the Unity Walk has grown from 200 participants
in the ?rst event to well over 10,000 participants in the 2008 walk. The
funds raised for the Walk have also dramatically increased with each passing
year. In 1994, the Unity Walk raised $16,000 in research funds, and in 2008
a new one-year record raising over $1,800,000 for Parkinson's research.

Generous donations of time and service to the Walk have expanded
fund-raising and awareness well beyond earlier expectations. Donations from
the Unity Walk have gone to support research for the following major U.S.
Parkinson's foundations:
American Parkinson Disease Association
National Parkinson Foundation
Parkinson's Action Network
Parkinson's Disease Foundation
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
The Parkinson Alliance
The Parkinson's Institute
The Parkinson's Unity Walk directs donated funds to increase research to
find a cure. Six of the seven participating organizations use the dollars
they receive to fund specific research studies. The Parkinson's Action
Network seeks to maximize federal funding of Parkinson's research through a
concerted nationwide advocacy effort.

From the very beginning, 100% all of the donations raised by walkers and
contributors has been and continues to be designated for research. Corporate
sponsors and individual research foundations fund the operating expenses of
the PUW.
For more information, please visit www.unitywalk.org
Skills
In some volunteer areas, we need those who are physically capable to stand
on their feet and possibly with the strength to lift a box or two. For other
areas, we are looking for people who are passionate about supporting a cause
and those who want to be part of the Parkinson's community.
Please note: Due to the high volume of people that will be a part of the
Unity Walk, and the busy nature of this event, we require volunteers, and
all personnel within all volunteer areas and booths, be 13 years old and
older.

We do encourage everyone of all ages to come and participate in this day of
Parkinson's community and education.
Please call us for any questions about volunteering or about the Walk.
Parkinson's Unity Walk
The Parkinson's Unity Walk began in 1994 through the dedicated efforts of
patients, families, support groups, and friends who were affected by...
(Read More)
Opportunities from this organization:
Parkinson's Unity Walk 2009
About Us |
Press Room |
Careers |
Donate to VolunteerMatch |
Contact VolunteerMatch
© 1998-2008 VolunteerMatch. All Rights Reserved. Privacy (updated: May 31,
2008), Terms of Use (updated: May 31, 2008)

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF