From: CASLL/Inkshed [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ryan Skinnell [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: March 26, 2009 2:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: research question

Victoria -

I'm not exactly sure if this will be useful to you, but in the 1960s and
1970s American feminist movement, consciousness raising groups were formed
across the country for women (primarily) to gather and discuss ways in which
they could identify and respond to patriarchal oppression.  No doubt there
was a similar movement in Canada, though I can't say for sure.

In many ways, these groups did the things you mention (creation of safe
spaces, renegotiation of values, facilitation of sharing, etc.) in ways that
were viewed as quite radical.  Though not explicitly about writing or
writing development, many consciousness raising groups did produce written
work (The S.C.U.M. Manifesto, for example).

All this is a long way of saying, it might be a movement you want to look
into to see if it gives you a theoretical frame to view your work through.
The Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness_raising) is
actually quite good as a starting point, and Barbara Crow (*Radical
Feminism: A Reader*) and Joy Ritchie and Kate Ronald (*Available Means: An
Anthology of Women's Rhetoric(s)*) have amassed some sources that might be
worth looking at if you decide it's an avenue you'd like to travel.

Good luck,

Ryan Skinnell
Arizona State University

--
It is out of scorn that worthwhile differences are discovered.  Without
rancor there is no rose.

              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/