New health worker rule under review
Rob Stein, Washington Post
Saturday, February 28, 2009

(02-28) 04:00 PST Washington - --
The Obama administration has begun the process of rescinding sweeping new
federal protections that were granted in December to health care workers who
refuse to provide care that violates their personal, moral or religious
beliefs.
The Office of Management and Budget announced Friday morning that it was
reviewing a proposal to lift the controversial "conscience" regulation, the
first step toward reversing the policy.
"We are proposing rescinding the Bush rule," said an official with the
Health and Human Services Department, which drafted the rule change.
The administration took the step because the regulation was so broadly
written that it could provide protections to health care workers who object
not only to abortion but also to a wide range of health care services, said
the HHS official, who asked not to be named because the process had just
begun.
"We've been concerned that the way the Bush rule is written it could make it
harder for women to get the care they need. It is worded so vaguely that
some have argued it could limit family planning counseling and even
potentially blood transfusions and end-of-life care," the official said.
After a 30-day comment period, the regulation could be lifted entirely or it
could be modified to make the protections more specific, the official said.
"We support a tightly written conscience clause. We recognize and understand
that some providers have objections about abortion, and we want to make sure
that current law protects them," the official said. "We want to be
thoughtful about this."
The new rule empowers the federal government to cut off federal funding for
any state or local government, hospital, health plan, clinic or other entity
that does not accommodate doctors, nurses, pharmacists or other employees
who refuse to participate in care they find objectionable. The Bush
administration adopted the rule at the urging of conservative groups,
abortion opponents and others to safeguard workers from being fired,
disciplined or penalized in other ways.
Women's health advocates, family planning proponents, abortion rights
activists and others condemned the regulation, saying it would create a
major obstacle to providing many health services, including family planning,
infertility treatment and end-of-life care, as well as possibly a wide range
of scientific research.
The move marks the latest challenge to the Obama administration's attempt to
find more middle ground on issues related to abortion. President Obama has
said repeatedly he hopes those on both sides of the issue can work to reduce
the number of abortions by preventing unwanted pregnancies and by offering
support to women who do get pregnant and want to continue their pregnancies.
That approach has already been tested. Obama angered abortion opponents when
he lifted restrictions on federal funding for international family planning
groups that promote abortion. The next closely watched decision will be
whether Obama lifts restrictions on federal funding for human embryonic stem
cell research.
This article appeared on page A - 6 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF