Dear Editor:

On Monday March 9, 2009, President Obama will rescind the Bush restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.  As one who has suffered from Parkinson's disease for thirteen years and has been a stem cell advocate for the past eight years, I am finally getting some relief from the oppressive ignorance and superstition that has stifled scientific research during this time.

However, I am not foolish enough to think there will be a cure in my lifetime, but at least I will know I am living in the 21st century, not the 11th.  Because embryonic stem cell opponents are more often than not relentless liars, there are some things you should know.   There are not 73 or 80 successful adult stem cell treatments for diseases and injuries, making embryonic stem cell research obsolete or unnecessary.  At last count there were nine "cures" for cancers and blood disorders, like the bone marrow transplants we all know about.

I have followed one especially egregious misrepresentation of the facts since 2003.  Dennis Turner's adult stem cell treatment for Parkinson's disease was not a "cure"  as it has been represented.    According to two phone calls to him on 3-24-06 and 2-19-09 his symptoms returned with a vengeance over five years ago.   During his treatment he was on Parkinson meds and had had a DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation) operation.  These facts make his claimed "reprieve" questionable.

No fetuses, babies or persons are destroyed with embryonic stem cell research as opponents claim and imply.  We are talking about microscopic undifferentiated human cells in a petri dish, cells otherwise destined for the garbage bin.

Scientists need to be able to search for treatments and cures without their hands being tied by religious zealots.  We won't know which cells work best for which disease until the research is done.  Now, thanks to President Obama, I have reason to hope.

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF

623-584-5869
Surprise AZ