Fox praises Obama for lifting stem cell ban

Michael J. Fox has heaped praised on President Barack Obama for lifting an
eight-year federal funding ban on stem cell research.
Fox has been a strong advocate of embryonic stem cell studies since publicly
disclosing his battle with Parkinson's disease in 1998, seven years after
his diagnosis.
He founded The Michael J. Fox Foundation in 2000, which has since become the
largest private funder in the U.S. of medical research into the disease.
And he's given a nod to Obama, who signed an executive order on Monday
lifting limits placed by the administration of former President George W.
Bush, who blocked the use of any government money to fund research on human
embryonic stem cell lines created after August 9, 2001.
Fox says, "Today is a new day. I'm thrilled to see President Obama has
honored his commitment to get politics out of science. The last few years
have been incredibly frustrating for patents and researchers who believe
that embryonic stem cell research has the potential to bring better
treatment... to many of the patients. I commend the President for
recognizing the inherent value of research freedom and creating an
environment in which it can flourish."

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF