Thank President Obama for Stem Cell Executive Order!
Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF

From: Parkinson's Action Network
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 11:19 AM
To: Rayilyn Brown
Subject: Thank President Obama for Stem Cell Executive Order!

           Take Action Now

                 Thank President Obama for Stem Cell Executive Order!

                 Congratulations and Thank You to Parkinson's Advocates! Take Action!

                        Eight Years of Advocacy Made This Day Possible

                        PAN is pleased to share with you the following alert to the stem cell advocacy community from Amy Rick, CEO of PAN and President of the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR). After reading the message from Amy Rick, please click here to take action to send your thank you to President Obama.

                        Dear CAMR Members:

                        As you know, this morning President Obama signed an Executive Order lifting the restrictions on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. This action is an important milestone in the nearly eight years of advocacy by CAMR members and patients from across the country and of determination and progress by our best scientists.  You should all feel proud of what you helped to accomplish!

                        Today's Executive Order removes politics from science and re-energizes the research community to move forward in earnest pursuit of all opportunities in this promising field.  In addition, patients and their families have renewed hope that better treatments and cures may be on the horizon.   A copy of the Executive Order and CAMR's press statement is attached.

                        Our work is not done, however.  In the coming weeks and months our attention will turn to NIH as it issues guidelines to implement this research, and to Congress.  As you know, it is widely discussed that, once an executive order is issued, legislation is needed to ensure that politics cannot ever again interfere with this important field of research.  We will be working closely with our supporters on Capitol Hill and will keep you informed.

                        Let me close by thanking each and every one of you who has been working on this issue with us.  We could not have come this far without everyone's hard work and determination, and I'm confident that we will work through this new chapter with the same energy and drive.

                        I ask that you take a moment to reach out to your members and ask them to contact the White House expressing their gratitude for the President's action.  Your members can send a message to the President by using the web form at:  http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact.

                        You can forward the template below for their use.

                        Dear Mr. President:

                        Thank you for lifting the prohibitions on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.  I recognize that you have many urgent issues that demand your attention, and I am grateful that you acted to remove politics from science.  Embryonic stem cell research holds so much promise for so many, and for years progress has been slower than it might have been.  Now, thanks to your action, our best scientists can continue their important work in this area and fully pursue all opportunities to get us to new treatments and cures as quickly as possible. Your action gives hope to millions of Americans and I am grateful.

                        Best,
                        Amy Comstock Rick

                        Read the press statement here.

                  If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.