>PARKINSON'S DISEASE NEWS
>from Viartis
>
>16th March 2009 - New research
>2000 YEAR OLD CASE OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE
>
>Neurogenetics [2009] Mar 13. [Epub ahead of print] (Bar-Shira A,
>Hutter CM, Giladi N, Zabetian CP, Orr-Urtreger A.) Complete abstract
>
>It is often claimed that Parkinson's Disease was discovered in 1817
>by James Parkinson. However, there have been descriptions and
>treatments of Parkinson's Disease since ancient times. For more
>information go to the History of Parkinson's Disease. There is a
>genetic mutation called LRRK2 G2019S that increases the likelihood
>of Parkinson's Disease. It is most common amongst Ashkenazi Jews.
>Ashkenazi Jews descend from Jews in medieval Germany. It was found
>that Ashkenazi Jews who had Parkinson's Disease due to this genetic
>mutation had a common ancestor who lived nearly 2000 years ago.
>Their ancestor, who would have probably had Parkinson's Disease,
>lived approximately 1,830 (1,560-2,160) years ago, around the second
>century A.D., after the second Jewish Diaspora.

Thanks Ray.
  Now I have someone to point a finger at. My mom's father emigrated
from Hamburg. He died young so we will never know if he had Pd. Now,
for what it's worth, we can blame Grandpa for Mom's and my Pd.
I just reread this and it seems I've let some bitterness out. Maybe
I'd rather I didn't know about this. Another learning experience I
suppose.
--
Steve in VT