By KFBB News Team

Story Published: Apr 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM MDT
Story Updated: Apr 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM MDT
The bill to ban human cloning in the state of Montana has officially been
signed by Governor Schweitzer.
Multimedia
 Watch The Video
The controversial bill received a lot of attention during this year's
session. Supporters argued human cloning is a recipe for disaster, not only
for moral reasons, but because of huge failure rates and risks to women's
health. The bill will not prohibit all stem cell research, but it will
prohibit embryonic stem cell research with cells of cloned origin. Opponents
say this bill will prevent medical breakthroughs by placing limits on the
research that can be done on certain conditions.
Governor Schweitzer signed the bill into law Wednesday afternoon.
Representative Krayton Kerns (R), the bill's sponsor, said, "I was glad to
get the human cloning ban out, that's the second time we've introduced that
bill, and we amended it this time to make it a little more palatable to the
opposite side of the aisle, and it was, so it came out strong."
Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF