Hey, Dr. Oz! Placental stem cells are already being used to successfully
treat Parkinson's!
Date: 2009-04-08
Category: Medicine

Dr. Mehmet Oz and Michael J. Fox predict the use of stem cells to treat
Parkinson's disease will begin in about eight years. ISCI founder Rita
Alexander reveals true story about a clinic in Mexico that is already using
placental stem cells to successfully treat PD.
Dr. Mehmet Oz and Michael J. Fox predict the use of stem cells to treat
Parkinson's disease will begin in about eight years. ISCI founder Rita
Alexander reveals true story about a clinic in Mexico that is already using
placental stem cells to successfully treat PD.

Beloved actor Michael J. Fox has been living with Parkinson's disease for 18
years. Known in the early '80s as Alex P. Keaton on the hit show Family
Ties, this Canadian-born actor went on to star in the blockbuster movie Back
to the Future. Then, in 1991, something unexpected happened.

Michael was diagnosed with a chronic neurological disorder called
Parkinson's disease (PD). When his symptoms worsened and it became harder to
disguise the shaking caused by the illness, Michael told the public about
his battle. He also became an advocate for stem cell treatment, believing
that it could someday put an end to suffering-his own as well as that of
others.

Dr. Mehmet Oz appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show in March 2009 with Michael
J. Fox and used the human brain of a 50-year-old male to demonstrate how
stem cells may help cure Parkinson's disease and other chronic illnesses.
Dr. Oz showed a section of the brain where lines are not present in a person
having Parkinson's disease. He believes that stem cells could be placed in
that area to regenerate the damaged brain; but he noted that scientists are
single digit (8-9) years away from being able to treat Parkinson's and
diabetes using stem cells. He is wrong about the date. Placental stem cells
are already being used to successfully treat Parkinson's. More than likely,
it is political red tape that keeps the treatment from being approved for
use in the U.S. However, placental stem cells derived from placenta
(afterbirth) have been used in Mexico and Europe to successfully treat a
variety of conditions and diseases for over 25 years.

James Devlin is a resident of Hawaii, but his paradise became a nightmare 15
years ago when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Unwilling to
accept the reality of continual mental and physical decline, he sought
answers around the world to stop the disease from taking over his brain and
his life. His symptoms were the standard Parkinson's package including stiff
muscles, decreased dexterity and coordination, insomnia, memory loss,
confusion, and tremors in his arms which made it difficult for him to feed
himself. Normal daily activities such as dressing, eating, and writing
became increasingly challenging. James was prescribed a long list of
medications to manage the increasing number of symptoms. Two and a half
years ago, he found the road to recovery from PD at the International Stem
Cell Institute (ISCI).

"When I first met Mr. Devlin, he was very stiff and rigid, battling constant
tremors as he made his way through the airport," said Rita Alexander,
Executive Director of ISCI. "He returned six months after his first
placental stem cell treatment, and he didn't look like the same man. His
body was relaxed, he walked with ease, the excessive tremors were gone, and
a big smile replaced the vacant facial expression he had just a few months
before."

Today, after several stem cell treatments, James Devlin has been able to
eliminate all Parkinson's medication and spends his days surfing in
paradise. "At 67 years old, I've had a 75 percent recovery and fully believe
that with additional stem cell treatments I will be in complete remission
soon," declares Mr. Devlin. "I don't want to think about where I would be
today if I hadn't been fortunate enough to find ISCI."

Mr. Devlin's response is not unusual for patients who are treated at the
clinic in Mexico, where placental stem cell treatments have been given for
cancer, cerebral palsy, dermatomyositis, diabetes, hepatitis C, HIV, immune
deficiency, kidney disorders, multiple sclerosis, migraines, muscular
dystrophy, Parkinson's, retinitis pigmentosa, rheumatoid arthritis, spina
bifida, and stroke. Unfortunately, not everyone is physically and
financially able to travel to Mexico. That is why Rita Alexander started
ISCI. "We wish many more suffering with Parkinson's disease knew there were
stem cell treatments that could change the course of their lives," states
Rita. "We want to help people access treatment that is already available and
hope to bring the treatment to the U.S."

About ISCI

International Stem Cell Institute was launched in April 2008 as a result of
18 years of stem cell treatment experience. The company is managed by Rita
Alexander, a businesswoman with a desire to bring stem cell treatment to
those who are suffering with a condition that has not responded to
traditional medicine. ISCI assists with patient education, pre- and
post-treatment support, travel logistics, and financial matters regarding
treatment.
For more information about ISCI or to arrange a consultation or schedule an
appointment, please visit http://www.iStemCelli.com.

Contact:
Rita Alexander
Executive Director