Here is my letter to Oprah, thanks to Dolores.   Won't you join me in
getting the truth out?

Ray

April 9, 2009

The Oprah Winfrey Show
110 N. Carpenter Street
Chicago, Illinois 60606

RE: EMBRYONIC STEM CELL RESEARCH NOT A DEAD ISSUE

There are two big lies on the web and in the media right now: embryonic stem
cell research is no longer necessary because adult stem cell research is
superior and eliminates the need for ESCR which is immoral because it
murders babies.
We in the Parkinson's community know there are no adult stem cell treatments
for our disease, yet for the past five years three claims for Parkinson's
were among the 70 to 80 "cures" from ASCs claimed by The Family Research
Council.

1. In February 2009 Dr. Michael Levesque's adult stem cell treatment of
Dennis Turner's Parkinson's disease was published in the Open Stem Cell
Journal as "successful" even though his touted "reprieve" ended 5 years ago
with the return of his symptoms. I confirmed this fact on 3-24-06 and
recently on 2-18-09 by telephoning Turner. Before this journal publication
Turner was the FRC's poster boy for adult stem cell cures even though his PD
had returned. It should be noted that while undergoing treatment, Turner was
on Parkinson's medications and the original brain surgery was done
concurrent with a DBS (deep brain stimulation) surgery. (Refer to
documentation in the Open Stem Cell article.) Both these factors make ASCs
as the causative agent of diminished symptoms questionable.

2. Patricia Payne was also listed as a Parkinson adult stem cell cure on the
Prentice FRC list even though she was only going to be in Levesque's Phase
II. Phase II never took place. I have emailed Dr. Levesque several times to
determine the reason and have gotten different answers. Phase II still has
not happened.

3. Amgen's aborted GDNF infusion therapy trial for Parkinson's patients was
the third cure claim, even though it did not have anything to do with stem
cells of any kind.

Although the Prentice cures list is cited many times with different numbers
of cures, three scientists determined that only nine of the 70 to 80 were
valid. I happen to have personal detailed knowledge of the Parkinson's
"success" stories so I'll just stick with them.

The second lie is support for the current movement in certain state
legislatures to bestow 14th amendment "personhood" rights on blastocysts. A
"personhood" law failed in Colorado, as did a court case for Mary Scott Doe
in California. Georgia, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arizona, Florida, North
Dakota and Montana either ban ESCR or are trying to by claiming a blastocyst
is a person. Blastocysts are microscopic undifferentiated cells in a petri
dish or lab freezer that will never be anything unless they are successfully
implanted in a human uterus. But many people believe they are tiny kids or
babies. They need to see what they are calling a "person" before they ban
this important research.

President Obama's rescinding of the Bush ban on federal funding and
restrictions on ESCR has reinvigorated the opponents of embryonic stem cell
research to work to ban it. I fear they will succeed if these major lies go
unchallenged. That is why I am asking you to help me get this information
out to the public. There are no successful adult stem cell treatments for
Parkinson's disease. We would all oppose the killing of babies, but a cell
is not a fetus or a baby or a person.

Sincerely,

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson Foundatioon

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF