-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Slattery
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Rick,

I am not a doctor of medicine, and the following is not medical advice, but
only the personal opinion of the writer. Any contemplated change in
treatment or medication must be referred to your treating medical
practioner.

There is an excellent paper on constipation generally, at

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/BHCV2/BHCARTICLES.NSF/pages/Constipation?
OpenDocument

There is another good paper on constipation in PD at

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/BHCV2/BHCARTICLES.NSF/pages/Constipation?
OpenDocument

Both are produced by the state health department of Victoria, Australia.

There is a much more technical paper on the subject of drug delivery through
the digestive system at

http://72.14.235.132/search?q=cache:XA-jmHD6IDgJ:e-jst.teiath.gr/issue_11_20
09/Putheti_11.pdf+motility+chime&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a

I hate to "cop-out" at this stage, but I will have to leave you to your own
devices at the moment.

The constipation question has not altered in the ten or so years that I last
addressed it here, so I am thinking it is perhaps time I visited the problem
again, at length.

Just consider this for the moment: anything that delays the passage of food
through the digestive system has the propensity to affect adversely the
delivery of drugs, as do the temperature, quantity and acidity of
accompanying liquids. Standard methods of dealing with constipation are for
otherwise normal people, and not for PWP. Keep the volume, keep it wet, keep
it moving.

And good  luck!