Stem Cell Vote

Last Updated: 7:28 PM Apr 16, 2009
Reporter: Capitol News
Email Address: [log in to unmask]

The Florida House spent more than an hour today debating whether or not
state universities should be allowed to pursue embryonic stem cell research.

Rep. Eric Eisnaugle of Orlando held back tears as he talked about his mother's
Parkinson's disease and spoke against the research.

"I would love to think that there was something we could do, to end her
pain, to end her difficulty, to cure her," Eisnaugle said. "But I've had
many conversations with her about this and I can tell you as much of a stake
as she has in this and as emotional as this is for both her and for me, she
is absolutely against using public money to fund embryonic stem cell
research."

Equally as moving was testimony from Democratic Leader Franklin Sands, who
favored allowing the research to go forward.
"My Opinion is that God allows us to see certain things," Sands said. "For
instance, embryonic stem cell research. And once he allows us to see this
thing, he gives us a choice. Do we use it for good? Or do we use it for
evil? And that choice is up to us."

The effort to allow research failed by a 68 to 46 vote.

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF