Mayo Clinic Study Finds Anemia Might be Associated With Development of
Parkinson's Disease
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
ROCHESTER, Minn. — Results of a new Mayo Clinic study support an association
between anemia experienced early in life and the development of Parkinson's
disease many years later. The findings will be presented at the American
Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting in Seattle on April 30, 2009.

"We were surprised to discover that chronic anemia or low levels of hemoglobin
were linked to the risk of Parkinson's disease 20-30 years later," says Walter
Rocca M.D. an author of the study and a neurologist at Mayo Clinic.
Hemoglobin is the protein that transports oxygen in the blood, an essential
element for life. "We looked at both anemia as diagnosed by a physician and
low hemoglobin values," Dr. Rocca says. "Both were associated with an
increased risk of Parkinson's disease. This might indicate that Parkinson's
disease actually starts 20-30 years before we see any motor changes in the
body."
The case-control study included 196 people who developed Parkinson's disease
in Olmsted County, Minn., from 1976 through 1995. Each case was matched by age
and sex to a general population control subject who was not affected by
Parkinson's disease. The medical records of cases and controls were reviewed
using the resources of the Rochester Epidemiology Project to determine if
there was a link between anemia or low hemoglobin levels and the risk of
developing Parkinson's disease many years later. Anemia was significantly more
common in the history of cases than in the history of controls.
Dr. Rocca and his team hope to replicate these results in another population
group. "We first need to confirm the study results. If the findings are
replicated, we will try to understand what are the underlying mechanisms.
Understanding the mechanisms may lead to new ways to prevent or treat
Parkinson's disease," Dr. Rocca says.
Other members of the Mayo Clinic research team included Rodolfo Savica, M.D.;
Justin Carlin; Brandon Grossardt; James Bower, M.D.; and Demetrius Maraganore,
M.D.
###