My wife, in her 31st year since diagnosis with PD, took amantadine
(Symmetrel) for several years with no untoward ill effects as I recall.
However, although she has taken a number of drugs, including Mirapex and
Requip, Sinemet has been her gold standard, and without it her tremors are
violent and a source of great discomfort.
As you may know, it is apparently the case that amantadine was initially
developed as an anti-influenza drug. The story I heard is that its
usefulness for PD was discovered by accident when used with a threatened flu
epidemic on board a cruise ship. When the PD folks on board took amantadine
to head off influenza, their PD symptoms improved. Or so the story goes.

-Ken

--
Ken