Hi All.  Since we have so many members asking or reporting about DBS, I wanted to comment.  Two years ago this summer Laureen had her DBS surgery.  After inital problems (nightmares?) with programming, she was doing pretty well.  She was driving, shopping, visiting friends, etc.  Not that she was back to "normal," but she certainly was doing light years better than before the surgery.  Oh yes, she was using the Nupro patch after surgery, too.

Almost two years later, she still is virtually tremor and diskynesia free, taking almost no meds.  (Especially since Nupro was pulled from the market.)  *However*, her mobility is poor, and she sometimes (not always) has difficulty speaking.  She doesn't go to the store (even with me) very often, because she has a hard time getting around.  Even so, DBS has made a significant and positive impact on her quality of life (and yes, on mine).  The Nupro seemed to make a postive difference, too, and we hope it will be available again soon.  Be well.  Scott

Scott E. Antes
Northern Arizona University
Department of Anthropology
PO Box 15200