I had no trouble.  I have received my genetic data bacck already.  It only took about 2-3 weeks even though they said it would take about 10 weeks.  Sounds like some government employee decided the savlia was a biological sample. 23andMe may have to figure out how to deal with that.  Be patient.  I'm sure they are trying to figure it out.

-----Original Message-----
From: Erwin Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 1 May 2009 12:01 am
Subject: 23andme - MJFF Research Project

Does anyone know what has happened about the 23andme PD initiative? My wife Pam's application to join their research project was accepted and the saliva sample kit duly arrived. Pam registered the kit on-line without any problems. When I attempted to arrange a local agent of FedEx to collect the sample for return shipment I was advised that a “Declaration of Biological Shipments” was required otherwise the package would not be accepted for shipment, since the contents were considered a “bio-hazard”. FedEx emailed a blank Declaration form to us. Although the Declaration seems reasonably simple to complete, we thought advice from 23andme was advisable to complete the details to ensure that the sample would transit through customs in both Australia and USA. So on April 1st Pam emailed [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> for advice. Advice was not forthcoming by April 10th when she sent a reminder email, mentioning that their web site states “Our custom
er service team will respond, usually within one business day”. Pam is still waiting for a reply. Since the Michael J Fox Foundation is involved with this 23andme project I decided to send by post (MJFF seems not to have a publicly available email address for correspondence) hard copies of Pam's emails to 23andme and a copy of the Declaration form on April 15th. Perhaps today, May 1st is too early to expect a reply from MJFF, although I did include my email address. And what with the 'flu scare I imagine no one in their right mind will wish to ship saliva samples around the world. I investigated claiming a refund from 23andme but their policy states that a $50 processing fee is deducted from the price paid, which under this special MJFF offer was only $25, excluding shipping costs, so we are out of pocket about AUD$138. Pam was diagnosed in 1991. Such is life.

Erwin