I suffered from panic attacks for 20+ years due to being allergic to
chemotherapy.  DBS finally got em!!  I used to never leave the house w/out
pieces of valium in my purse.......I don't take any such meds anymore.

Ray
source:  Viartis.com

 13th May 2009 - New research
THE PREVALENCE OF ANXIETY IN PARKINSON'S DISEASE

Movement Disorders [2009] May 7 [Epub ahead of print] (Pontone GM, Williams
JR, Anderson KE, Chase G, Goldstein SA, Grill S, Hirsch ES, Lehmann S,
Little JT, Margolis RL, Rabins PV, Weiss HD, Marsh L.) Complete abstract

Anxiety disorders are common in Parkinson's Disease, but are not well
characterized. So this study determined the prevalence of anxiety disorders
in Parkinson's Disease. Around 43% of people with Parkinson's Disease were
found to currently have an anxiety disorder. Almost half of people with
Parkinson's Disease were found to have had an anxiety disorder at some time.
Panic disorders were more associated with an earlier age of onset of
Parkinson's Disease, and were more common in those people with greater motor
fluctuations and morning dystonia. This high prevalence of anxiety disorders
suggested to the researchers that anxiety in Parkinson's Disease is both
underdiagnosed and undertreated. The main biochemical fault in Parkinson's
Disease is insufficient dopamine. Low dopamine does not cause anxiety
itself. So anxiety is not an inevitable part of Parkinson's Disease. L-dopa
can end up as noradrenaline, which causes anxiety. So the high prevalence of
anxiety in Parkinson's Disease may be largely due to the side effects of
certain Parkinson's Disease drugs. In order to refer to this article on its
own click here.

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF