I sent the following comment to NIH (slightly revised from Amy Rick):

Embryonic stem cell research holds great promise for millions of Americans
suffering from many diseases and disorders. As an individual who has been
diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, I have been following progress in this
field  with great interest. Significant strides have been made over the past
decade,  and the final guidelines issued by NIH must build on this progress
so that cures  and new therapies can get to patients as quickly as possible.
The final  guidelines should not create new bureaucratic hurdles that will
slow the pace of  progress.
I am pleased that these draft guidelines -- in Section II.B -- appear to
permit federal funding of stem cell lines previously not eligible for federal
 funding and for new lines created in the future from surplus embryos at
fertility clinics. However, as drafted, Section II.B does not ensure that any
 current stem cell line will meet the criteria outlined and thus be
eligible for  federal funding. In particular, Section II.B(5) appears to create a
cumbersome  and duplicative consent process to establish the eligibility of a
specific  donation of human embryonic stem cells for use in research.
It will be important for the final guidelines to allow federal funds for
research using all stem cell lines created by following ethical practices at
the  time they were derived. This will ensure that the final guidelines
build on  progress that has already been made. I also believe that the final
guidelines  should permit federal funding for stem cell lines derived from
sources other  than excess IVF embryos, such as somatic cell nuclear transfer
(SCNT). Sections  II B and IV of the draft guidelines do not permit such
federal funding.  Therefore, I recommend that the final guidelines provide
federal funding using  stem cell lines derived in other ways. If not, it is
essential that the NIH  continue to monitor developments in this exciting research
area and to update  these guidelines as the research progresses.
Finally, I urge you to reject those public comments that give greater
weight  to the potential of an embryo to develop into an adult human than to the
needs  of an existing adult human for access to needed cures for an existing
disease.  Such comments are anti-science in their essence, and degrade the
value of every  living person.
Wilson DeCamp