----- Original Message -----
From: "Ernesto Divo" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Question re milk thistle and tyrosine
> Have you heard of 'Dymatize Elite Whey Protein?' It contains L-tyrosine, a
> long list of amino acids and a whole bunch of other goodies
I am not a doctor of medicine; the following is not medical advice,
only the personal opinion of the writer. Any contemplated change
in treatment or medication must be referred to your treating medical
practitioner.
Dr James F. Slattery PhD Soc Sc
Hi Ernesto,
I am very wary of protein supplements taken at the same time as dopamine
replacement  therapies.

The reason is, that animal protein (eggs, milk, butter, meat, fish, cream,
cheese, etc), interferes with the adsorption of the active ingredient,
L-DOPA (trade name Levodopa(R), a dopamine precursor converted in the body
to dopamine).

The levodopa in Sinemet(R), Parcopa(R), and Atamet(R) is carried to the
brain by carbidopa. In Madopar(R) and Co-Beneldopa(R) the carrier is
benzerazide.

Both carriers inhibit aromatic-L-amino-acid decarboxylase (DOPA
Decarboxylase or DDC) , an enzyme that is important in the biosynthesis of
L-DOPA to Dopamine (DA), and both do not pass the blood/brain barrier.

Used in tandem with L-DOPA they increase the plasma half-life of levodopa
from 50 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. They cannot cross the blood brain barrier.
They thus prevent the conversion of L-DOPA to dopamine peripherally. This
reduces the side effects caused by dopamine on the periphery, as well as
increasing the concentration of L-DOPA and dopamine in the brain.

They are absorbed from the small intestine, and carried in the blood to the
blood/brain barrier, where the levodopa crosses over. In order to "trick"
the body into doing this, the package was made to resemble a Large Molecule
Amino Acid (LMAA), which, of course, animal protein is.

The only problem is, that if the real LMAAs reach the absorption site in
sufficient quantity, and at the appropriate time, some or all of the
medication will not be absorbed within its half-life, thus negating that
dose.

To avoid this, the medication is best taken on an empty stomach, ie,one hour
before meals, or two hours after. If this results in stomach aggravation,
try a small meal of say, crackers and juice, which contain no animal
protein, with or just before medication.
Dr. J. F. Slattery PhD