Last Day to Support Stem Cell Guidelines
Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF

From: Parkinson's Action Network
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:44 AM
To: Rayilyn Brown
Subject: Last Day to Support Stem Cell Guidelines

     Take Action Now

            Last Day to Support Stem Cell Guidelines

                  NIH comment period closes at 11pm tonight! More Info

                  Today is the last day to comment on NIH's draft stem cell guidelines.  Your support for human embryonic stem cell research is needed -- each comment is recorded and counted!

                  Although the vast majority of Americans support stem cell research, as of last week, most of the comments NIH has received are in opposition to stem cell research.  We must do everything we can to shift that balance.  Please submit comments if you have not done so already.  Once you have submitted your comments, encourage your friends and family to voice their support for stem cell research as well.

                  PAN has also submitted organizational comments on the NIH draft guidelines.  Generally, PAN is pleased that the draft guidelines greatly expand the availability of federal funds for stem cell research.  PAN's detailed comments also identify regulatory adjustments and clarifications that are needed in the final guidelines, which is far more detail than what individuals need to submit.

                  The comment period closes at the end of the day today.   Please take five minutes to express your support for this important research now!

                  How to Submit Your Comments:
                    a.. To access the NIH comment form, visit:  http://nihoerextra.nih.gov/stem_cells/add.htm
                    b.. Provide your name, and select 'self' for Affiliation; and
                    c.. Copy and paste the text below into the comment box, edit as appropriate, provide the security check ID on the form, and click 'submit comments.'
                  Suggested Comment Text:

                  Embryonic stem cell research holds great promise for millions of Americans suffering from many diseases and disorders.  I am not a scientist, but I am a member of the Parkinson's community and have been following progress in this field with great interest.  Significant strides have been made over the past decade, and the final guidelines issued by NIH must build on this progress so that cures and new therapies can get to patients as quickly as possible.  The final guidelines should not create new bureaucratic hurdles that will slow the pace of progress.

                  I am pleased that these draft guidelines -- in Section II B -- would appear to permit federal funding of stem cell lines previously not eligible for federal funding and for new lines created in the future from surplus embryos at fertility clinics. However, as drafted, Section II B does not ensure that any current stem cell line will meet the criteria outlined and thus be eligible for federal funding.  It will be important for the final guidelines to allow federal funds for research using all stem cell lines created by following ethical practices at the time they were derived.  This will ensure that the final guidelines build on progress that has already been made.

                  I also believe that the final guidelines should permit federal funding for stem cell lines derived from sources other than excess IVF embryos, such as somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT).  Sections II B and IV of the draft guidelines do not permit such federal funding and I recommend that the final guidelines provide federal funding using stem cell lines derived in other ways.  If not, it is essential that the NIH continue to monitor developments in this exciting research area and to update these guidelines as the research progresses.

            If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.