Graham, thanks very much for sending the link to the Scholarly
Writing Retreat in Portland--a great concept for a working conference.

I certainly agree that devoting one stream of the "Inkshed day" to
moving papers-in-progress towards publication is a terrific idea
(assuming that those wanting to participate had sent drafts to each
other before CASDW--it would also be a perfect opportunity for
developing papers presented at CASDW for publication).  I'd think
that this particular stream would need to run for the full day.

However, unlike Graham, it seems, I would particularly appreciate the
possibility of stream #4 as described in Shurli's email:

"4. a spill-over from CASDW for more formative inkshedding and
discussion in response to papers or panels"

This might not need to be a full-day stream, but perhaps one long
afternoon session, with a break in the middle.  CASDW for me
(especially this year!) was like going to an art musuem for 8 hours
straight, 3 days straight--trying hard to take everything in, to be
alert, not to miss anything--but my eyes are popping out of my head &
I'm on sensory overload at the end.  Sessions begin to blur together,
and I'm unable to process and assimilate everything.

I'd benefit from a focused period of time right after CASDW to look
through my notes and handouts, to inkshed about the presentations and
sessions that challenged my thinking or my practice the most (and to
inkshed about some possible links between different sessions--or
links to my research and teaching), and then to read and respond to
the conference inksheds of others.  I'm sure that in participating in
a few rounds of such inkshedding with others and talking about it
together, I'd discover things I'd missed in CASDW (both about
sessions I couldn't attend--as well as sessions I did!) and that I'd
also return to my home institution much clearer about how I was going
to integrate what I had heard at CASDW into my teaching, research
and/or administrative work.

What seems most valuable to me about Inkshed is that instead of just
talking about writing (esp. writing as a way of thinking and
exploring)--as happens at almost every conference about writing I
know of--Inkshedders actually do write, actually practice what
scholars in writing studies preach.  They make the time for that
rough "shaping at the point of utterance" that helps capture ideas in
formation, glimmers and possible connections/contradictions that
might otherwise be lost. And they take the risk of sharing that
unpolished track of their thinking with others immediately. I also
especially appreciate having my own inkshedding--with highlighting
and/or marginal comments-- to take home with me, to read through
later and possibly develop further).

I have to say also that I like the idea of streams.  Those who don't
find inkshedding as helpful as I do (or who process information much
more quickly and less problematically than I do) would be able to
choose one of the other 3 streams.

If anyone besides me would like to support the idea of including
stream #4 in the mix next year, I'm eager enough for it to happen
that I'm willing to volunteer to facilitate/organize it (and I'd be
glad for the offer of a co-facilitator).

I'm grateful to Roger for making sure we discussed Inkshed at CASDW
and for his getting this online follow-up discussion started (and of
course, to Roger and Heather and Natasha for organizing such a rich 3
days for us in Ottawa).
Best, Betsy

At 08:50 PM 6/2/2009, you wrote:
>Just to throw something into the mix. Here's a link to a website
>announcing the fifth annual Scholarly Writing Retreat in Portland, Oregon.
>
>http://www.lclark.edu/~mreyes/2009writingretreat.html
>
>I've seen announcements for the earlier sessions in previous years,
>and I've also found the concept intriguing.  Now the Scholarly
>Writing Retreat is five days long, which is obviously way too long
>to work as a model for an Inkshed conference, but there may be some
>ideas that are useful for us. I for one would be quite keen to spend
>a whole day, indeed several days even, collaborating with other
>researcher-writers in moving papers-in-progress towards publication.
>That could turn out to be quite productive and fun.
>
>For me, and again perhaps I'm being too frank, but anyway--after
>spending three intensive days at CASDW, an extra day or two for an
>Inkshed conference would have to be very, very different from CASDW
>to be of interest. What I mean is, it couldn't just be warmed-over
>CASDW conversations or mopping-up-after-CASDW activities.  For me
>that wouldn't be something I would want to do, given the inevitable
>post-conference fatigue after three stimulating days of CASDW.
>
>So, some more grist for the mill.
>
>Graham

M. Elizabeth (Betsy) Sargent
Director of Writing Initiatives and
Acting Director, Writing Studies (OIS)
Professor, Department of English and Film Studies
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB  T6G 2E5
CANADA
(780) 492-0457 (office)