In the interests of seeing what shape Inkshed might take before deciding
whether or not to Inkshed at all, I add to those points already made by
listing some of the ideas (from what I remember) that were floated
around at the meeting, in keeping with the idea that an Inkshedding day
after CASDW could be a space and a time for a variety of purposes,
including working groups proposed before hand depending on needs:

1.  a space to share drafts with other writers working to get an
article publication-ready
2. an opportunity to meet with others working with a particular
theoretical framework or concept or method intrinsic to their research
3. an opportunity to bring a pedagogical practice for a test-run and
discussion
4. a spill-over from CASDW for more formative inkshedding and
discussion in response to papers or panels...

I realise not all of these involve meeting as a whole group in
traditional INKSHED fashion (I have a vision of a room filled with large
round tables), but perhaps a morning of working groups plus an afternoon
of something for the whole group...?

shurli

Shurli Makmillen
Contemporary Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University (Brantford)
73 George Street
Brantford, ON.
CANADA   N3T 2V3

Phone: 519 756 8228 EXT 5737

>>> Graham Smart <[log in to unmask]> 06/01/09 3:17 PM >>>
Well, OK, hoping to get a conversation started, here goes:  For me the
decision about whether to stay in Montreal an extra day to attend
Inkshed would depend entirely on what was planned for the Tuesday.  The
question for me would be, will what's planned for the day contribute to
my research and/or teaching in some way?  To be brutally honest,
feelings of nostalgia for the 'old Inkshed days' wouldn't enter the
picture in any real way.

Having just come back from Hong Kong, mainland China, and Vietnam,
where people seem to have a much greater and wonderfully gracious sense
of community, beyond the self, I realize how individualistic and
self-centred this sounds, but if I'm honest, this is what I would be
thinking about in making a decision.

Graham