I am writing to share the results of a meeting of people interested in
attending an Inkshed conference next year who also happened to be
attending the Canadian Association for the Study of Discourse and
Writing meeting in Ottawa May 24-26.

About 18 people talked about the possibility of organizing an Inkshed
conference next year. The group decided that there was interest in
holding a conference. This group, composed of people attending the
CASDW, felt that holding Inkshed immediately after the CASDW
conference was a workable plan. A proposal was floated to devote the
evening after the third day of CASDW (Monday May 31 2010) and all day
the next day (Tuesday June 1 2010). The Monday meeting would be held
in the McGill Graduate Student centre and consist of the AGM and
“talent” night, and the Tuesday would the program of the conference.
The Tuesday meeting would be held in a meeting room at one of the
Congress hotels, and would include lunch. Inkshedders would be
responsible for their own accommodations, breakfast, and dinner. Costs
for the conference would likely be limited to the lunch and the costs
of renting the meeting room.

The format and nature of the program is yet to be determined; I am
seeking descriptions proposing what that program might look like to
include in the next issue of the Newsletter.  Please send these to
Heather Graves ([log in to unmask]) or [log in to unmask]
before July 31.

Does this seem like a plan for next year that people who were not at
the CASDW meeting would find attractive? This seems like the kind of
thing this list should discuss, and I hope I’ve given enough of a
sense of the meeting in Ottawa to get the discussion going. If you
were at the meeting, feel free—or even compelled—to elaborate on my
description of what was discussed. If you were not at the meeting and
are interested in attending an Inkshed conference next year, what do
you think of this plan?

Roger Graves

Roger Graves
Director, WAC and Acting Director, Centre for Writers
http://www.ualberta.ca/~graves1/index.html