Over the last 20 years of our fight to find a cure, billions have
been raised and spent researching research. Every great and new
finding must be scientifically verified as being duplicated. This
takes years and if it is found to be valid, researcher, Universities,
or biotech companies must find an established partner to pay for and
run clinical trials that cost millions more. The partner or alliance
must have the capability to work with the FDA. Of course, venture
capital companies that financed the science and Universities require
a piece of the pie. The intellectual property ownership becomes patentable.

In our economic climate around the world, venture capital companies,
universities, biotech and contributors are cutting back. The pie has
become smaller.

Our community of Parkinsons organizations are receiving fewer support
contributions so therefore some research will be pared back.

It is an established fact that most research will not in a
therapeutic benefit for us. Years of throwing money at the problem
hasn't been for naught because some new understandings have emerged.

CAMR, Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research has been the
major lobbying force for stem cell research. Some described their
efforts as being a "jobs program for stem cell scientists". Only time
will tell if their promise bear fruits. The public treasury is empty
so it is unclear how their research will be funded. "Our Money" has
already been given to the advantaged.

One start-up company that is close to my heart is Medtronics. While I
hope and pray that they can refurbish their used neurostimulators for
the Third World, I'm not holding my breath until they do.

John Cottingham