SPAIN: Stem cells cure disease but only in lab
Rebecca Warden
Issue: 0082

Spanish researchers have cured a disease using pseudo-embryonic stem cells
for the first time. The team, led by scientists from Barcelona's Centre for
Regenerative Medicine, has corrected a genetic defect in cells belonging to
three sufferers of Fanconi's anaemia, a serious blood disease.

But the process was carried out in the laboratory and there is still a long
way to go before clinical trials on humans can be envisaged.

"We are not curing Fanconi's anaemia, we are curing it in vitro," said Anna
Veiga, Director of the stem cell bank at the centre and co-author of an
article published in Nature recently. "So we are demonstrating that is
possible and that when we have overcome the other obstacles, we can start
talking of a cure."

The researchers used gene therapy to eliminate the disease from skin cells
taken from patients then converted them into induced pluripotent stem cells
or pseudo-embryonic cells. These act like embryonic stem cells and have a
similar capacity for changing into different kinds of cells, a process known
as cell differentiation.

The process makes use of known techniques but combines them for the first
time. It holds the promise of producing stem cells specific to each patient
and, as these are generated from the patient's own cells, the risk of
rejection would be eliminated.

Tests have now begun on rats but Veiga emphasises that much still has to be
done before tests can begin on humans. Four genes are used to transform the
adult cells into pseudo-embryonic ones and one of these can cause cancer.
Until the technique is improved and cells can be produced in proper
conditions, clinical trials will have to wait.

Currently the only example of a clinical trial being carried out by a
reputable research centre is in the US where scientists are looking for safe
ways of reversing spinal injury.

But unorthodox treatments are being offered in many countries by
organisations with dubious scientific credentials and Veiga believes the
general public should be wary of their claims.

"If you go online, you will find all kinds of organisations promising
miracle cures for serious diseases like Alzheimers or Parkinsons - they even
claim they will get rid of your wrinkles - but most have no scientific basis
and are done without any quality control," she said.

She cites the case of a young Israeli man who twice underwent treatment with
foetal stem cells in Russia for neuronal disease. Two years later Israeli
doctors found him to have several brain tumours.

"You can't just give someone stem cells and say if they work great, if not
then tough," said Veiga. "If you inject them into the heart of someone who
has had a heart attack, you need to know what those cells will do - will
they stay put and turn into cardiac cells? Or will they do something else?"

Printable version
Email to a friend
Comment on this article

Rayilyn Brown