Doctors Diagnosing 'Young Onset' Parkinson's More Often
Token Creek Man Managing Symptoms
UPDATED: 10:13 am CDT July 7, 2009

MADISON, Wis. -- Since the high-profile diagnosis of actor Michael J. Fox in
1991 at age 30, Parkinson's disease has become well-known as a growing and
even somewhat common disease.

The disease, though, is not one confined to just the aging anymore. When
someone younger than 40 is diagnosed, it's considered "young onset"
Parkinson's disease. The brain degeneration that causes rigidity and tremors
can be even more challenging mentally for a younger patient.

However, as the disease becomes more common, some are taking it in stride.
Bob Nasett was diagnosed 10 years ago at the age of 37, after watching his
father die of Parkinson's.

"When he got the disease, he was stiff and had slowness of movement," said
Nasett. "Turning a screwdriver, I could tell that movement was difficult for
me, and I was stiff getting out of chairs, and that's when I started to
realize that it was probably what I had."
Nasett's brother was diagnosed just a year later, at the age of 31. They're
both one of a growing number being diagnosed at what seems like younger and
younger ages.

"I think we are seeing more and more because we're more aware of the
disorder," said Dr. Efrain Perez, director of the American Parkinson's
Disease Association. "In the old days, we started attributing that we were
getting older, so it's OK to have a little problem with balance, it's OK to
be slow, OK to be hunched. But nowadays, we realize that this is different
manifestations."

Get embed codeSave & ShareDr. Perez said stiffness or weakness in limbs can
be the first signs of the brain function failing. The major effort,
especially in younger patients, is to manage the symptoms, because they can
only be controlled for 25 to 30 years, said Perez.
"The whole idea is maintaining the patient's ability to function," said
Perez. "There's no cure for Parkinson's disease, so you basically treat the
symptoms."
Nasett has been dealing with symptoms now for 10 years. Despite the disease,
has managed to landscape the outside of his Token Creek home.

"The medications I'm on now today, I feel like I have better control," said
Nasett. "With my exercise program, and my desire to fight as long as I can,
I think I have better control today than I had before."

The treatment of Parkinson's now can include a number of different
medications that can control the symptoms. Some come with side-effects and
can affect each patient differently. Dr. Perez said that exercise is also
proving to help drastically with movement. Nasett is currently in a study at
the University of Wisconsin dealing with how exercise can help control
motion.

There is no cure, and there isn't a known cause for Parkinson's. Doctors
will diagnose 60,000 new cases this year alone -- most will be in people
over age 60.

According to the American Parkinson Disease Association, roughly 20 percent
of those diagnosed are under age 50, and half of those patients got that
diagnosis before age 40.

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF