My husband had DBS-STN anout 8 months ago. He was at a point where the traditional Parkinson's meds were not working. His periods of freezing were becoming more frequent, requiring frequent use of a wheelchair, and pain from muscle tightening. Mobility-wise he is greatly improved, but has had to maintain his regular schedule of Stalevo, Requip, and Amandatine. His speech has worsened somewhat but is quite understandable. He is still having his stimulators adjusted as he feels sometimes like he has "lead in his feet". His neurologist is going slowly with the adjustment, as in the past he has had severe dyskinesias if she raises to current too much. There has been a slow, but progressive cognitive decline over the years, so I'm not sure if the DBS affected his mentation. It is certainly much easier to be out and about as he no longer has freezing episodes. For that alone, the DBS was worth it. His support group members who have had DBS encourages him to be patient, as it does !
 take time to adjust the stimulators optimally. Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Black Charles <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, Jul 9, 2009 1:16 pm
Subject: Re: thoughts about DBS?

ASSUMING agood team (EXTREMELY important!)
Your probability of a good outcome is very good, probably in excess of 85%
The PPN target area is experiemental target area for gait and balance. The
problem with it it is not a defined area of the brain as is the STN, so it is
more dificult to target.
I tell prospective DBS'ers  if they are having second thoughts, they probabbly
are not ready for a DBS. WHen you are ready , you will know it.

CHArlie Black, bi-lateral DBS-STN in 2002 annd still working well!