Dear Mary Ann

The truth is that many doctors, including neurologists, are not familiar with YOPD. Even I was not aware of the unique problems of this subset of PD patients until recently.

Most of my YOPD patients have lost their jobs before retirement. The most important lesson is that we have to be particularly sensitive to the special needs of YOPD patients, i.e. earlier age of brain surgery in order to save their careers. I have arranged for five PD patients for the brain surgery next year - all of them are YOPD, and two are still working.

Today I finally successfully contacted the youngest YOPD patient in Malaysia. He was only 23 when he was diagnosed. Unfortunately, it is already quite late to help him - his father told me that he has been bedridden and lost his voice for some time - he is about 36 right now.

The discovery of the YOPD has even changed my treatment approach and attitude. Nowadays when I give lecture on PD, I start by showing photographs of my YOPD patients with the caption "YOPD patients in Malaysia".

Dr Chew