> From: "rayilynlee" <[log in to unmask]>
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 10:52 AM
> Subject: Personality May Not Predict Parkinson's
> By Randy Dotinga
> HealthDay Reporter

I propose two factors that may lead one to the conclusion that PD somehow
affects the personality of sufferers for the better, making them more
creative', or that a certain type of person ( a type 'A', typically)
contracts PD.

With regard to changes in the creativity of persons with PWP, it must be
held in mind that PD, and the drugs used to combat it, produce changes in
the chemical 'soup' that is the brain, particularly the levels of adrenalin
and noradrenalin, and can thus affect 'creativity'. Indeed, some of my own
most creative works have originated in a state of heightened 'awareness' and
lateral thinking. This is on a level with states of mind experienced by
artistst and musicians, when affected by druga, and. like their works, need
to be reviewed when 'in compos mentis'.

With regard to the theory that PWPs are more likely than not to have a type
'A' personality, I think that may come from obsrrving PWPs who are more
'visible' than others, for example, those who contrbute to this site, and
those who join suppport groups in an active capacity. I have not seen any
study that credibly sets out the case for this theory; indeed, I prefer the
case put by Dr Azmi in the article, that observed characteristics may be
'post hoc', rather than inherent.

Any increases in productive output are more likely to arise from an
increased awarenemm of, and interest in, the subject of the creativity.

Dr J. F. Slattery, PhD Soc Sc