It's interesting that ECT as a treatment for PD has been investigated and is being  encouraged mostly by psychiatrists, who initially used it to treat depression, and then noticed improvement in PD symptoms.  But there is little research reported by neurologists. It should be poinited out that it is not being proposed as a treatment for all PWP  -- only for those in advanced stages  who no longer get relief of their symptoms with the available PD meds. There are likely side-effects and the benefit/ risk ratio has to be considered.  But ECT is less invasive than DBS surgery, and maybe safer?

There are two good review articles listed below from 2003 and 2005. Been trying to find any updates. Both conclude that the small studies and case reports so far are not adequate, and further research is needed. Has it been done? So far can't find any evidence  -- or have the results just not been published? Given the lack of options for advanced PD, it seems further investigation would be warranted.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Kathleen Cochran <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: More on PD and ECT
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:11:31 -0400

Thanks, Rick.

Since reading Dr. Goulston's article, I've been doing some research on PD
and ECT (electroconvulsive therapy, formerly known as shock therapy) and
found several other articles, listed below.

As far as I can tell, it's mainly a few people in the psychiatric community
who have been talking about ECT and Parkinson's. Have the movement disorders
people (and the drug companies) noticed?

I find it astounding that hardly anyone has bothered to look at possible
benefits for Parkinson's patients from ECT, a noninvasive, widely used
procedure that has been greatly refined since its inception in the 1930s and
is tolerated well by many recipients.

Here are some links:

1989
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/146/11/1451

http://www.faqs.org/abstracts/Psychology-and-mental-health/ECT-for-Parkinsons-disease-Differential-effects-of-right-unilateral-and-bilateral-ECT-on-heart-rate.html

1991--part of a letter
http://journals.lww.com/ectjournal/Citation/1991/09000/ECT_for_Refractory_Parkinson_s_Disease.10.aspx

1995
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9620060

2003
http://jap.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/9/1/9

a letter and a response to the letter:
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/168/11/1391-b

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/168/11/1392<http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/168/11/1392http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/168/11/1392>

2005  There is a link to a downloadable PDF of this article.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.go/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1739437

Here's a quote from pp. 5-6 of the PDF:
"Although we show that the effects of ECT are significant and, indeed, had a
larger effect size when compared to TMS [transcranial magnetic stimulation],
the small number of trials limits our ability to draw any definite
conclusion about this technique in PD patients."

2009

This thanks to Linda Herman:

"The scientific and clinical basis for the treatment of Parkinson disease
(2009)" by C. Warren Olanow, Matthew B. Stern, MD, Kapil Sethi, MD.
Neurology, 2009;72 (Suppl 4);S1-S136. As part of the discussion they say:**

*"Electroconvulsive therapy has been used to*

*manage severe depression in PD that cannot be controlled*

*with more traditional approaches. Benefits in*

*both depression and parkinsonian motor features have*

*been observed,**733,734 **although the latter are typically*

*transient and disappear in weeks to months, and this*

*procedure is not widely used."*

The two cited articles were written in 1989 and 1991.