GOP relying on scare tactics in health debate
POSTED: August 10, 2009 Save | Print | Email Email: "GOP relying on scare
tactics in health debate"

Bring on the scare tactics, fear peddlers, and outright liars on the health
care debate.

A consultation on a living will is now somehow a "plot" to kill senior
citizens? I thank God my grandparents, father and mother-in-law all had them
when illness took their lives. When it came time for final decisions about
my grandfather to be made, hospice counselors still sat down with my grandma
and us to make sure we understood what withholding a feeding tube (per his
wishes) would mean.

After 30-plus years of Parkinson's disease, my grandpa could no longer
physically speak, but they still sat with all of us to go over his options,
and if it was still his wish not to have a feeding tube, they would respect
and carry out his wishes, the same thing if he changed his mind and wanted a
feeding tube inserted. Five years later, my grandma had a massive stroke and
could not physically speak. No one involved was "chomping at the bit" to
"kill" my grandparents.

The option to change their minds about end of life care was always on the
table. A living will is simply a legal record of what procedures you are
willing to be a part of. You have the option of changing your mind ... you
get to have the final say.

As for abortion, there has been a federal law banning federal funding for
abortion since the '80s. Are Republican lawmakers ignorant of that or just
disingenuous?

Michele Reynolds

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF