It seems from my observations that some PD patients experience
mental/cognitive deficits and some do not, or at least not to a large
extent. I was very surprised and unprepared to see in my father that his
movement issues are really not significant. His impairment and inability
to live alone results from the cognitive deterioration he's experienced.
He cannot plan a meal, remember to drink water, find his way back to his
assisted living room even when he's only a corridor away in a familiar
environment, etc. He loses everything all day long and spends much of
his time looking for important papers, his shoes, etc. He gets really
depressed and really anxious sometimes and becomes fixated on certain
issues beyond what most people would consider normal.

What we talk about is the fact that he can still do many things well. He
is wonderful to talk to about a problem, is very warm and loving to the
family, learns everyone's names immediately and remembers them, and can
enjoy movies, lectures, and drawing. He still loves to walk outdoors as
he was a runner and jogger all of his life.

He has friends with PD who have no apparent cognitive or mental
problems, except maybe the normal things one expects with aging.

It is obvious to me that PD is a very complicated disorder that
manifests in many different ways.