The study results are a major finding, but I think the genetics are being
given more importance than warranted. First, the researchers themselves
ruled it out. Second, there is no shortage of insular communities, yet none
has revealed such a connection. And third, it is an obvious possinility and
has thus been thoroughly examined over the years to no avail.

So what is causing such a remarkable spike in the data? We have a
well-defined population that, while they do use some chemicals, rate lower
than most in their exposure. They have no automobile or gasoline factors.
They work out in the fresh air and have a healthy diet. They are presumably
low stress. They use ground water but so do their neighbors. Does anything
make them stand out?

I will suggest two things that may account for it. First is their dependence
on horses and the resulting need for high quality alfalfa hay. A few years
ago I produced a crude map of the US with color coding of the states based
on their PD rates. I based it on data from a book by Dr. Abe Lieberman, now
of the Muhammad Ali center. As expected, the high rates were in the Midwest.
I then used USDA crop data to compare various crops with the PD plot. One
stood out - alfalfa hay.

Hay and seed production generate high levels of dust as any one who has
spent time playing in a barn as a child knows. The major component of that
dust is a toxic cell membrane left behind by dead bacteria called
lipopolysaccharide (LPS). Fetal exposure to this toxin during a critical
window of development sensitizes the fetus to future exposure, decreases
neuronal density in the substantia nigra, and disrupts the future stress
response circuits of the endocrine system. Once born, the brain's immune
cells, the microglia, are hypervigilant to future exposure to LPS hich
triggers neuroinflammation that, over time, kills off neurons. The highest
density of microglia in the brain is found in the substantia nigra.

This has all been worked out by NIH teams led by Bin Liu, J.S. Hong and
others as wel as by P.M. Carvey at Rush.

The second possinle factor is their high consumption of wheat and the
possible autoimmune response. Non-celiac sensitivity to gluten is now being
recognized as having a neurotoxic effect of no little impact.

Again, this study has taken us a great step forward and the scientists are
to be commended.

If you wish to examine these papers, they are compiled on my website at

http://www.parkinsonsonline.org/forum1/   along with much more.