From: Mary Ann Ryan
Date: 8/13/2009 11:00:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: question re living will

This is an excellent question for everyone.  As a nurse, I have witnessed
hundreds of resuscitations - many of which were against the wishes of the
patient. So here are some of my suggestions regarding the construction of a
living will.  Please remember to be very clear about your wishes.

Please consider answering the following questions:

Do you wish to be resuscitated.  If so, under which conditions?  If you are
brain damaged so that you no longer have any quality of life, do you wish to
have cardiac massage and be placed on a Vent (a device that is placed in
your trachea and allows for artificial ventilation). How long should you
remain on a vent (weeks, months, years) and when should it be removed?

Do you wish to have the instillation of a feeding tube?  If so, how long do
you wish to receive nourishment in this manner  (days, weeks, months,
years)?  When should it be removed?

Do you wish to have IV therapy if you are incapable of receiving hydration
in any other manner?  For how long?  When should such therapy be removed?

At what age do you no longer wish to be resuscitated?  Please keep in mind
that after the age of eighty, successful resuscitation occurs in only about
1% of those brought back to life and only 10% of that number ever leave the
hospital.

A chemical code is different from a full Do Not Resuscitate order.  In a
chemical code, blood pressure and cardiac arrhythmias are corrected.  So,
please consider what therapies should be in place in the event of a cardiac
crisis.

Although the question was addressed to people with PD, the reality is that
when quality of life is adversely affected by any disease, a decision must
be made regarding whether to resuscitate recognizing that quality of life
will probably be worse post resuscitation. My husband stated clearly, when
we constructed a living will, that he wanted everything possible to be done.
Within a year he had a coronary.  His decision to persevere, no matter what,
made the decision to permit bypass surgery so much easier for me and for
him.  His doctors, at the time, we shocked that we opted for a full code
status and surgery.  In the end, he lived five years longer, being able to
see his first grandchild and participate to some degree in life.  His
condition post surgery was severely impacted.  Nonetheless, we both were
very happy that he was around for those five years.
---------
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 68/28 with PD, died 11/20/07)

Do
www.bentwillowfarm.org