Vision problem suggestion:? Consider a pair of prescription glasses (any old pair) to wear while attempting to do any of the activities listed below (or reading!) to perhaps imitate our problems with focussing/spatial issues in your "demonstration area".?? Sounds like a great project Meg.

Rita Weeks

-----Original Message-----
From: Duggan, Meg <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, Aug 18, 2009 1:54 am
Subject: Re: A more suitable name for PD. And an idea you can help with!!

Here in KS, we are almost done with something we are calling the "one in =
a million challenge" tag line: For more than a million Americans with =
PD, simple daily tasks can be major obstacles.  What would it be like if =
you were in their shoes? Take this simple challenge and find out. (early =
thoughts!)
=20
So, we are still in development, but have a velcro walk - as it sounds, =
long velcro carpet with velcro shoes to simulate feet stuck to the =
floor.  We have a bunch of very cool cognition tests, which we have =
people do then we distract them or make them much more dificult to =
simulate loss of executive function - just trying to show how much =
harder it is to walk through the world with PD.  Doing some adl stuff - =
get coupons, get money, sign a check, timed and with added issues like a =
pen that vibrates and super small lines to write in.  Button, buckle, =
lace, zip - all of it just a bit harder, we've had some gloves made for =
people to put on for those tasks.  Anyway, you probably get the idea.  =
We are going to travel with this - to places that don't usually care =
about PD - like outdoor music fests and places where the young and =
partyish hang out - hoping to give them an experience that they will =
remember and bring them aboard to our cause. Its fun and quite a moving =
experience - feedback is all good so far.
=20
So - all this is to say that I am thinking the Tshirt, super duper pain =
in my brain etc.. might really be a fabulous and fun kind of thing.  I'm =
sure if you did it in some very cool and graphic way, you could get =
young people asking other young people ( substitute trendy, engaged, =
interested, philanthropic, anyone with time. money, energy and passion =
for young) asking about the shirt and what it means.
=20
I'm loving the super duper pain in my brain vibe...
=20
I'd also love ideas.  We are trying to invent the simulations, trial and =
error so far, and would love ideas.  We have some cash to devote to =
this, and really want to make it a very professional, profoundly
 moving =
experience.  Thoughts anyone???
=20
Love you guys one and all! Meg