Jim,

I really do not know enough about the illness to say what would be a more
suitable name, but the need for this goes beyond the advantages that you
mention - maximum publicity impact, maximum research funding attraction, and
maximum research effort.  I feel that renaming it might also educate medical
professionals about it to a greater degree than what we have experienced
here in Calcutta.

In retrospect I feel that Prem's former doctor - a 'renowned'
neuro-physician in this city - looked on PD as basically a 'movement
disorder'.  He knew nothing about the loss of the sense of smell being an
early symptom, and when I mentioned it, he merely pooh-poohed it.  He could
give no explanation for the vision problems that Prem began to experience
early on and even said that he did not think that they had anything to do
with the PD.  He over-medicated him for mobility problems and prescribed so
much agonist that Prem began to have acute psychotic symptoms.  Then he was
mystified and did not know how to handle it except to prescribe heavy doses
of drugs to deal with those symptoms.  When I eventually insisted that Prem
must come off the agonist, he agreed but said that we would have to consider
DBS.  It turned out that he knew next to nothing about DBS, including the
facts that patients who have had psychotic symptoms are ineligible for it or
that patients have to be in frequent contact with the doctor, which
considering that Calcutta does not offer DBS, was going to be difficult for
us to say the least.  I only learnt that he was on the wrong track on all
these fronts when I became a member of PIEN and CARE.

This kind of thing should not happen to other patients and perhaps
redefining and renaming the illness is one way of bringing its complex
nature into the forefront for doctors.

Moneesha
Calcutta, India