Dear everyone

Over here in Malaysia, we have also great difficulty in raising funds for Parkinson's community. The main reason is that Parkinson's is not a killer illness.

If you raise fund for cancer, kidney failure and heart failure, you will get more than you aim to raise. For example, if you aim for 200,000 dollars, you will end up getting 300,000 dollars from the public.

I think we need to educate the society that being not a killer illness does not mean an illness (such as Parkinson's) needs less attention. People do not realize that Parkinson's, being NOT a killer illness, leaves Parkinson's patients with no option but to endure life long physical and mental sufferings. In contrast, patients with killer illnesses such as cancer have another way out - death as an escape mechanism, and also end to sufferings.

This is why education is so important. We need to educate the society that non-killer illnesses such as Parkinson's are also important.

The struggle of the Parkinson's is an uphill task.

Dr Chew