(Reworded as suggested by Ansa Ojanlatva, PhD, CHES (ret.))

The idea for changing the name of PD came about at a round-table conference as
to what ways we  could promote awareness of PD, and at the same time raise the
awareness of doctors and para-medical people (nurses, physios, etc) of the
practicalities of dealing with PD.

We, and by "we " I mean the ordinary people in the equation, have little or no
chance of influencing the search for either a cure, or a preventative, for PD;
neither do we have any chance of coming up with a more efficient medication.
However, we are able to influence practices by becoming aware and knowledgeable,
by trying out methods, and by supporting each other in the process.

My GP told me that he had had approximately one hour of lectures on PD, as part
of a total of six hours for I would like you to re-word the second paragraph of this message you sent around. I think "we" are able to influence practices by becoming aware and knowledgeable, by trying out methods, and by supporting each other in the process.
neurodegenerative disorders, in the whole of his
internship. My niece, during her nursing training, in the neurology part of her
course, was learning from text-books that were six years out of date.

We have to try and get the information on PD updated, and we have to get it
recognised as a disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS), by whatever name we
call it. We have to try and have the information readily available for making an
informed diagnosis. And we have to shorten the time taken for positive
diagnosis.

I was watching TV during my lunch-break, and the host of a program was
interviewing a young woman. She said that she began to have symptoms of PD at
the age of 23, and that she was finally diagnosed at the age of 27. She said
that she had had a terrible time getting a positive diagnosis, as the doctors
to whom she went did not believe in the range of systems she presented, and were
of a common mind-set that her symptoms were psychological, of unknown cause.

In the mind of the general public, PD is seen as at best a simple movement
disorder, and at worst a psychiatric disturbance, with all that the implies. And
it is certainly not seen as a disorder of the young.

Jim
Doctor J. F.Slattery PhD Soc Sc